Sunday, November 30, 2008

OSHA

Hannegan also points to workplace requirements set by the Occupational Safety and Health Administration, which did not ban smoking. OSHA found the levels of chemicals emitted into the air from smoking in most workplaces does not exceed what it terms permissible exposure limits. Hannegan argues the smoke-free effort is meant not only to reduce second-hand smoke, but also to persecute smokers and reduce their numbers.

Hannegan, who only smokes when he drinks, said a prohibition of smoking also would limit his patronage of bars and restaurants.

"I have no interest in stepping out to smoke," he said. "I enjoy it with beer. It heightens socializing. If I can't smoke at my corner bar, I just stay home."


http://westcountyjournal.stltoday.com/articles/2008/08/28/news/sj2tn20080826-0827web-smoke0.ii1.txt